Skip to content


Lead is a heavy metal used in many materials and products. When absorbed into the body, it is highly toxic to many organs and systems. Lead is a natural element and does not break down in the environment. Once lead has been dispersed and redeposited in the environment, it will remain to poison generations of children unless it is controlled or removed. Even very limited exposures to lead are hazardous to children.>

Please see the resources listed under “page navigation” on the left side of the page to learn more about how lead impacts human health and what can be done to decrease exposures.